With a long and proud history of conserving environmental resources, we have comprehensive environmental sustainability programs in place, including water and energy conservation, recycling and environmentally responsible fixtures and appliances. We have a comprehensive commitment to minimizing our impact on the environment, and our green philosophy has grown to become a core value of our company.
The goal of the Hotel Drisco’s social responsibility program is to be a good neighbor and a responsible steward of our environment by incorporating sustainability into our core business operations. Our green policies and practices are designed to educate our employees and guests, reduce waste and toxins, conserve natural resources and support local and environmentally-friendly businesses. The Hotel Drisco has been certified by the City and County of San Francisco as having met the stringent environmental standards of the San Francisco Green Business Program.
In addition to our many environmental initiatives, we also proudly support the Warrior Canine Connection, a nonprofit organization dedicated to pairing service animals with disabled veterans of the United States Armed Forces. Through this innovative program, those same disabled veterans are instrumental in training additional service animals to support their comrades.
Key Elements of our Environmental Programs Include:
Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Guestrooms are provided with recycling bins
- Hotel operations utilize separate composting and recycling programs
- We use paper products which contain between 40% and 100% post-consumer recycled waste, including toilet
paper, facial tissue, copy paper, signage and other printed materials
- Towels, linens and unclaimed personal items are donated to the St. Anthony Foundation
- Furniture and office supplies are donated to The Salvation Army and Goodwill Industries
- Partially-used bath amenities are donated to Clean The World, a nonprofit organization which reformulates the
products and ships them to communities in need across the globe
- Leftover food and beverages are donated to San Francisco Food Runners
- We utilize only Energy Star-rated electrical equipment
- At least 10% of the energy we purchase is derived from renewable energy sources
- Our light bulbs and fixtures are constantly being upgraded to utilize the most advanced energy-saving technologies,
including CFL, LED and cold cathode.
- We utilize vacancy sensors in utility areas so lighting is extinguished when no one is present
- Our staff has been trained to turn off lights and TVs in guestrooms immediately upon guest departure.
- All toilets have been upgraded to 1.6gpf operation
- All showers and faucets use water-saving aerators
- Guests are given the opportunity to reuse linens and towels
- We utilize sophisticated hot water conservation software provided by EDC Technologies
- All water sources are regularly inspected for leaks and promptly repaired when necessary
- We recycle all electronic equipment, light bulbs and batteries through Recology San Francisco
- We keep stockpiles of paints and chemicals at a low level
- Our housekeeping staff utilizes only certified Green cleaning products such as orange oil and rosemary air freshener
- Whenever possible we source local products to reduce pollution due to transportation
- We use organic, fair trade food and beverages as much as possible
- We encourage employees and guests to use public transportation